Saturday, June 5, 2010

#4 sew what?

When I first wrote down #4 "finish a craft project" I had just started to learn how to knit. I pictured myself getting really good and my goal was to knit a baby blanket for a friends baby shower. Neither of those two things ended up happening. Turns out, kitting is hard! I am currently still working on the same scarf I started about a million years ago. Since I never defined exactly what "craft project" entailed, I figured, my list = my rules. So instead of kitting a blanket, I'd sew one.


I'd sewn blankets before, but most have been pretty simple and ended up looking less than stellar. Since I knew I wanted to give this one away as a present as well as use it to fulfill my #4, I figured I should try and step things up a little...


My friend's nursery theme was "fat safari-ish animals" so I spent hours rummaging through fabrics at Kaimuki dry goods until I finally found the perfect look. I ended up having to make 3-4 trips back to the store for more fabric, thread, and various types of iron on appliques. All in all, It took me a total of about a week to finish the blanket and a few burp cloths. Although I'm sure most seamstresses professional and not, would scoff at my finished product, I have to say, I'm pretty darn proud of it!


In the end, even though it was meant to be a gift for little baby Liam, the sense of accomplishment I feel is actually like a present to myself as well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment